Bluefins started their London League campaign with a great performance against the Metropolitan Police, who fielded ex GB international Ian Spooner. The Bluefins never looked in trouble throughout the game and finished deserved winners by 8 goals to 4.

In the first period the Bluefins got off to a great start, Paul Adams opened the Bluefins account with a well worked shot from distance. The Met Police came back strong to level the scores. Bluefins lifted their game and were starting to break off the opponents when they lost the ball. Bluefins Dave Trewhella broke away from the police, receiving a pin point pass from Steve Fairhead. Dave’s shot hit the bar, but Trace Morgan followed up and was to hand to push the ball over the line. The 1st period finished well for the Bluefins, the team pressed the Met Police hard, they lost possession. After some good interchanges by the Bluefins, Paul Hunt finished the move off with a goal. The 1st period closed out 3 – 1 to the Bluefins.

Met Police started the 2nd quarter well with Spooner opening his account ominously, to bring the scores back to 3 – 2 to the Bluefins. Great defence by the Bluefins kept Spooner and the Met Police at bay, typified by Steve Fairhead. He used his pace to cover back and frustrate Spooner, even though he was sent out for foul play, Bluefins prevented the Met Police scoring from the power play. The 2nd period finished 3 – 2 to the Bluefins.

The 3rd period saw the Bluefins kick in to top gear. Trewhella grabbed a brace of goals, with trademark bursts of speed and fast hands when possession was won back by the Bluefins. Paul Adams finished the scoring off in this period with uncharacteristic break through the middle. The specialist distance shooter showed a surprising turn of speed and rose high above Spooner, received a great pass in from Steve Paton and scored high in to top left of the goal. The period finished with Bluefins in control 6 – 2 ahead.

Spooner tried to pull the Met Police back in to the game in the last period. Blueifns goalie, Brad Mcbain, pulled off some great saves to frustrate the Met Police. The police managed to grab 2 goals, but Trewhella was on hand to keep the Bluefins in the clear. Again Trewhella used his skills and speed to break away and score with 2 fine flick shots that shot past the keeper.

Team Captain Paton said of the game ‘that he was extremely pleased with the Blueins performance. They showed great team work, good passing and a solid defensive platform set up the win’.

Bluefins next London league game is against Ealing at home.

Bluefins were:
Brad Mcbain, Steve Paton, Paul Adams, Trace Morgan, Dave Trewhella, Steve Fairhead, Paul Hunt.

Upcoming Matches

Follow Us


For any Internet shopping please use the link below for raising funds for Basingstoke Bluefins Waterpolo

Help Basingstoke Bluefins Waterpolo Club!

provides a FREE fundraising service where you can raise funds for Basingstoke Bluefins Waterpolo

Choose from over 600 of the UK's best-known retailers including many popular names such as Amazon, Next, Argos, John Lewis and HMV, and when you shop using the links on the site up to 15% from every purchase you make is donated to Basingstoke Bluefins Waterpolo.

Member Login